Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Clayboss Resolution? Well, Sort Of...

In my last Clayboss status update I mentioned the problem (failure to reduce the wheel's speed beyond 20 rpm or so when the pedal goes to the shutoff position) is diminishing with use. In the last episode, a person at Creative Industries told me to open the (new, replacement) controller box (like I had to do with the original) and make sure a potentiomenter inside is at its minimum position. I assume they must have an ongoing problem with their controller boards.
She asked me to call her and report status.
After I did what she asked, I didn't have the time to really test it out. Later, after I used the wheel for a while, it was back the same as before. I called CI again and reported it. This time I had a kind of "indirect conversation" with their technical guy. Instead of letting me speak directly to him, the customer service gal held the phone, asked me questions, shouted my answers to him and then relayed his comments back to me. After several minutes of this she told me "We will talk about this and decide what we're going to do. We'll call you tomorrow and let you know."
That was last Thursday. Today is the following Wednesday. I have heard nothing from them.
But there is GOOD NEWS! The problem has continued to diminish with use. From the outset this seemed more like a mechanical problem with the pedal assembly than an electrical one with the controller board. It has definitely gotten better. Yesterday, it only happened once in about three hours.
The truth is, I've had enough of the back-and-forth with Creative Industries. They win! We've had the Clayboss since July. It didn't work right when we got it. It's now the middle of September, and it still isn't completely right. If they really wanted to remedy the problem, by now they would have found a way. Instead, I am still screwing around down on my hands and knees on a concrete floor with little screwdrivers replacing their faulty parts and trying to troubleshoot their faulty product and having endless telephone discussions with CI's people about something they apparently don't have a fix for! We thought we were purchasing a fully functioning potter's wheel -- one that worked right out of the box. That's what we paid for. What we got is a new maintenance/repair project.
Now -- fortunately for me, and no thanks to them -- the problem has diminished on its own to a point where I can probably live with it if I have to. If I am lucky, it will eventually go away completely, but that's a crapshot I have to take unless I want to continue the tap dance with CI. Frankly I do not want to have to pack the wheel up, lug it up from the basement and send it back. This has been a lesson well learned...
Would I buy another Creative Industries wheel?
Probably not. I've learned too much...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would like to comment on your experience. I first would like to say I can understand how frustrating it can be to try to turn and your wheel not working. But as for Creative Industry wheels I purchased one as my first wheel. It worked well, but I have had some problems since I first purchased it. One thing that you can try is to check the foot pedal. I had a similiar problem after some use and it ended up being the foot pedal. As for if I would pruchase another, I might but if money was not an issue I would not and go with another brand such as Shimpo or another higher end wheel. Good luck on the wheel and hope you get it working properly. Wayne <><
https://www.thesuccessfulpotter.com