Thursday, September 07, 2006

Clayboss Status

As I use the wheel, it seems that the intermittent shutoff problem might be improving on its own. At first, every third or fourth time I tried to stop the wheel it continued at a slow, even speed. Now, it seems the frequency is decreasing. Maybe it will fix itself!
Yesterday, I needed to speak with Creative Industries regarding the return of their defective controller. They sent a UPS return label, but in our very small town the only UPS "terminal" I could find is a drop box at Popeye's Fried Chicken. Of course, the package containing the controller wouldn't fit the drop box, so I called CI to ask for instructions. After working that out I told them about the new intermittent problem.
The lady I spoke with told me to go into the controller box and make sure the minimum speed potentiometer is, in fact, at its minimum position. This is the same thing they told me to do with the other, original problem. So, it was back down on my knees with a screwdriver for the third time. Not being as young as I once was, I don't enjoy futzing with gear as much as I used to, but I tried it. The pot was already at its minimum position -- the same as it was when I tried it before on the old one.
I didn't have time to test it beyond turning it on and off a few times, and the problem did not show up. Last night I did work with it for an hour or more, and although much diminished, the problem remains.
To their credit, the person I spoke with at CI called early in the evening to inquire. That was before I had used the wheel for actual throwing, and at that point the problem had not reappeared. She asked me to keep her posted, and I will call her later today when they open.
At this point I'm hoping the problem will turn out to be a "break-in" issue that will go away with use. I'm sure CI has no interest in sending out yet another controller and pedal if it isn't necessary, and I have no interest in getting down on all fours in a very tight space once again to install it. I'm willing to give it some time.
No complaints about Creative Industries and how they are handling this now. I believe they want to get it right, and when it is working, I have no complaints about the wheel itself. It seems solid, with enough power to do the job.
More to come...

No comments: