Monday, September 25, 2006

Maybe It's Not CI's Fault?...

Just when I thought my Clayboss problems were going away a new glitch appeared. Actually, it's been there for awhile, but I thought it was nothing. Now it's much worse, and I had to contact CI yet again for resolution.
Now, a ratcheting noise comes from beneath the wheel head. Its frequency and loudness are proportionate to wheel speed. At first it was barely noticeable. Now it sounds like wheel failure is certain. I called CI.
This time I was able to speak directly with their tech guy. He seems well informed and knowledgeable on the hardware, and has always been eager to assist. I described the problem, then held the phone by the wheel so he could hear for himself. He immediately said they would ship out a complete replacement wheel, and I could send the defective one back to them. That was last week. I understand it is en route now.
I'm not too happy about having to lug another wheel down to my basement from the driveway, lug the old one back up from the basement to the driveway and try and pack it all back into the box for shipment back to Creative Industries. I also have to admit I'm wondering if the replacement will come with a defective controller and pedal, or if it will have the new version, or if it will come with yet another "surprise."
But to be honest, I know how things can sometimes go bad in spite of every one's best intentions. I was once in the retail business. It can be a godawful backwater of frustration and the Peter Principle. Occasionally a customer got what seemed to be a "jinxed" product. When it happened, regardless how hard we tried to make it right, something else would go wrong. Maybe that's what I have here. Maybe it's just Jinxed. Creative Industries has nothing to gain by sending me defective products, and I don't believe they did that intentionally. We'll see how it goes from here. I will definitely report results.
At this point the hassle factor has far exceeded the price benefit I thought I was getting with the less expensive CI wheel. Now, I'd spend the extra bucks for something else in a New York minute if I could. I just want a wheel that lets me focus on clay for a change...

No comments: